Monday, August 31, 2009

Dear Minneapolis

As a New Englander by birth and at heart, I had no idea what to expect from your Midwest city. I’ll be honest, the main reason I went was because I was going to be in the area in Chicago. I wanted to see baseball played in that glorious Metrodome and thought a couple of days in your city would be more than enough to keep me entertained.

Let me tell you, I was wrong. Friday night, you caught my interest. I ate at the taproom on 8th Street, walked some Skyway, ventured over to Loring Park and the sculpture garden, and meandered back downtown. I didn't have a map, but could find my way around based on loose directions, commonsense, and a well laid-out street plan.

Saturday, I fell in love. I walked a block over to Nicollette Mall and hopped on the bus to the state fair. The helpful bus driver was able to sell me the day pass I had read about online, even though he wasn't quite sure what I was asking for. When I got to the fair, I realized I was in for an experience like no other. I have been to carnivals, I have been to street fairs, I have been to rodeos, and I have been to show rooms, but never before have I seen all of those things in one place at one time. What got me, though, were not the copious amounts of corn dogs, or the alligator that I tried, but rather the character the fair exhibited through its people.

I imagine the first Saturday of the fair is a pretty busy day to go, and I thought it was packed until I heard someone in front of me say "Oh, this isn't bad, you have room to breathe." It was then I knew I was in for a fun day. Everyone in the crowd seemed to have that laid back attitude, which meant we all moved as one, strolling through the fairgrounds, taking in the sights. I saw families, teenage couples, middle-aged friends, and senior couples all have the same look of excitement in their eyes as they turned each corner to behold what came next.

Forty minutes, a bus ride and a clean, efficient light rail trip later, I had made it out to the most intriguing stop I had passed on the light rail coming in from the airport, "Minnehaha Park," and heard someone on the train explain joke I had been thinking in my head, "Try to say Minnehaha without laughing." Back downtown, dinner revealed more charm as the waiter gave me my dessert for free because my traveling companion and I were "so nice." I then made it to the baseball game where I saw a proposal, bear mascot, and, oh yeah, a baseball game.

Sunday morning it was time to go, and I couldn't help but thing of everything I hadn't been able to do. There were museums to see, St. Paul to visit, and the nightlife to explore. Minneapolis, you seem to have it all: a convenient, walkable downtown, cultural excursions and dining galore, and useful mass transit options. But most of all, you have character. You have people you enjoy spending an afternoon crammed together with their fellow Minnesotans, who give free desserts to people who are nice, and who make an outsider feel at home.

So, Minneapolis, in case you take it for granted, I wanted to let you know why I think your city is so great, and I wanted to say thank you, from a New Englander who found a second home in the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment