Wednesday, November 4, 2009

maine

On Tuesday, Maine had a chance to make history. My home state could have become the first state in the nation to approve same sex marriage by popular vote, rather than legislative or judicial action. Instead of blazing a new trail, though, Mainers voted to stick with the status quo and repeal a law signed by the governor allowing people of the same gender to marry. As someone still registered to vote in Maine and voted to keep the law in tact, I have a mix of emotions. I am disappointed in the voters, I am frustrated with the tactics used by the other side, and I question the legitimacy of a system that allows the majority to vote on the rights of a minority. Through all of these feelings, though, I still love the state that I grew up, and take offense to those who judge us based on this vote.

Maine was a great place to grow up, and I can only appreciate that now that I have moved away. The pace of life is easy, the people are honest and hard working, and the scenery is beautiful in every season. When I lived there, I took the state for granted. Like many teenagers, I thought it was boring. It seemed that nothing exciting ever happened. After I moved to Boston, I started to appreciate the state. Now when I go home, I take one look at the oceans, the mountains, and the forests and realize all that Maine has to offer.

More than anything, though, the best thing about Maine is the people. They live in Maine because they like that life is a little slower and a little prettier than anywhere else. The slowness I mistook as boredom was actually relaxation and contentment. They welcome everyone -- tourists, out of state family members, friends -- with open arms and a lobster dinner. They work hard but know time spent with family is most important. They believe in their own views yet treat everyone with respect. Even though I don't live in Maine any more, there are still the values that I grew up with and shape the way I think. That is why I will always consider myself a Mainer.

While I thought that Mainers would see that upholding gay marriage was a way to treat everyone with respect, it looks like we aren't there yet. Nothing has changed in my love for Maine, though, or its people. Most people I know from Maine who wanted to uphold the law have expressed disappointment with the decision, but very little anger. Those who are happy with the decision are not gloating, just expressing content. The bitter campaign battle (that was heavily influenced by forces outside the state), has caused some in the state to be hateful, and that makes me sad. It is only those "from away" who have added hate into the discussion. They say that Maine "sucks" or that they are "disgusted" with the people. Mainers need to remember what we have in common instead of what separates us. Being from Maine means a lot more than voting yes or no and our history of respecting people who have different opinions should not change with this vote. Instead of focusing on the people of Maine, shouldn't we realize that this could happen in any state? It’s more effective to start figuring out a way to change a society that believes that same-sex marriage is wrong, than to blame the people of Maine for voting.

No comments:

Post a Comment